Monday 24 February 2014

Connection and Carrot Cake

 
Half term has come to an end and we have been getting back into our rhythm ready to start school again. Hayden is looking forward to seeing his friends and his teacher Mr Lopez again. Artie is indifferent about going back to kindergarten (same old) and I am looking forward to a little bit of time to do some exercise and reading The Mother magazines which arrived in the post yesterday.  I do love having both boys at home with me, but I don't think the novelty of Hayden being in school has worn off yet, I had him with me all day every day for 7.5 years so it is nice to get time by myself or just with Artie.
  We met up with our friends today. Izzy is someone I met through Green Parent forum and we started meeting up about 6 months ago. We have a lot in common with our values, parenting ideals and hobbies so it is always so lovely to drink coffee and chat with her while the boys run around for hours. I always come away feeling nourished. I'm not the sort of person that has lots and lots of friends. I like to have a few good friends that I have a real connection with and who I can relate too.
  The boys have been magic salt painting, potion making, email writing and playing with the greenhouse and animals the last few days. We have also been doing a lot of baking the last few days. We made a gorgeous carrot cake from a recipe that I have adapted from a bbcgoodfood recipe. I often change recipes to suit our diet like swapping sugar for maple syrup/honey/sweet fruit. Sometimes the results aren't great but we live and learn and I try it differently next time. Hayden made bliss balls this morning which are basically dates, cocoa/cacao, nuts and coconut oil whizzes in the blender and then rolled into balls and coated in desiccated coconut. They are nutritious yummy snacks and Hayden made a nut free version for his lunchbox. I also made some cheese straws for Hayden's school lunches. I always try to vary the stuff he has, he likes ham and cucumber tortilla wraps the most but he also has tuna pasta salad, cheese salad sandwiches, homemade pizza and cheese straws too. I usually add a home baked good to his lunch too like a biscuit, oat bar or bliss balls
 Our diet is something I put a lot of thought into as I firmly believe 'you are what you eat'. Since the kids have been born we have always eaten a wholesome whole food diet. We are not vegetarians but where possible we eat local, organic free range meat, fruit, veg and dairy. These thinks are very important to me and although it is not always possible to stick to this 100% due to factors like budget, I try to keep in mind what my priorities are and keep to them. Packaging waste is something that really bothers me and I am currently trying to reduce this in my shopping. I have joined a Suma Coop with friends which is great as I can get things I couldn't get otherwise and for a lower price like the millet cereal Artie eats. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day in my opinion so I always try to give the boys a nutritious breakfast to gear the up for the day. We have incorporated a more varied range of grains into our diet recently like millet, spelt and buckwheat and rice and we are cutting down on wheat. I'm always trying to learn more about nutrition and what is best for our bodies. I am currently the heaviest I have ever been and feel so sluggish and need to get back into shape. I have been quite heavily depressed since Arthur birth due to the decline of my relationship with the boys father among other things and I comfort ate for so long and it is just a vicious cycle that is hard to get out of. Ive been cleaning up my diet again and exercising and am starting to feel so much better. Will be getting my munch on when my Suma order arrives and will be eating lots of sprouted seeds and beans in salad this week. Yum!
 
 
 
 









No comments:

Post a Comment